The term lighting refers to the useful energy output
of a system consisting of light sources , fixtures to support them in
appropriate locations , wiring channels to activate the light sources and
the convenient electrical controls. Here are the tips on how to maintain the
lighting system in different rooms according to the ambience .
LIVING ROOM lighting :
The living room is the core of
domestic life. People decorate them according to their interest , but the
one element that is common to all is the intangible style , which is not
dictated by prevailing trends or large amounts of money. Here are some
basics how to illuminate it properly.
DINING ROOM lighting :
- Establish an adequate general illumination level to reduce the accent
light , brightness , contrast.
- Illuminate an entire wall with overhead fixtures to provide background
for room furnishings.
- Feature window areas with the cosmic lighting.
- Indirect light like that under a pelment or above a cabinet will supply
soft uniform illumination.
- Use dimmers to program lighting moods.
- Play up with the architectural features like aala , niches , mantles etc.
- Highlight artwork and plants with individual lighting arrangements.
- Be sure that the floor , table and hanging fixtures have adequate shades
to prevent glare.
- Plan adequate lighting to handle a variety of family activities like rack
- Bar area could use incandescent light to play up sparkling glassware.
Lighted shelves or fluorescent fixtures under the front edge of bar are
The decor of dining room depends
upon the culture of the family. A dining room can change the style of
eating. So one should be careful while playing with the lights to make the
environment relax and easy.
KITCHEN lighting :
- One must keep the visual emphasis off the ceiling and walls and on the décor
of food and guests.
- Ceiling down lights should fall and focus primarily on dining room table
- Candles and fuel lamps in decorative holders can add special touch to any
- Buffey or service areas and chinaware/silverware/crockery displays
deserve special lighting emphasis.
Kitchen is a place where a lady spends
her maximum time so it should have comfortable and fresh feeling. Todays
kitchens are far removed from the dark dingy spaces one saw earlier.
- General lighting for a kitchen should be well distributed , uniform and
as shadow less as possible.
- Fluorescent fixtures reduce the energy demands without sacrificing
- Even if there is window in the kitchen , install down lighting over a
sink for cloudy days or nights.
- Special lighting for key work areas can be installed in the ceiling or in
the upper cabinets.
- Provide light for storage areas in pantry or wall cabinets overhead or
shelf mounted brackets will do the job.