The way Leather furniture look, the more it require care because leather sofa or chairs tends to get cuts if comes with little sharp edged object. Yet leather is most elegant and luxurious material that one chooses for furniture as it costs most higher than other material. Leather furniture has many advantages such as it doesn’t require any top cover to maintain its luster just like in fabric based sofa or other furniture.
Thus it can be said that leather requires little maintenance while the only drawback of leather furniture seems to be its wear and tear feature. Any sharp object should be carefully placed on leather furniture because a single injection could ruin the over-all appearance of your expensive asset. Although small cuts and dents are common in leather furniture which can be easily fixed at home. We have brought to you some good tips that can be immensely useful to get rid of such problems:
To repair leather furniture you may need:
- Sharp scissors
- Fine sand paper
- Clean fabric
- Canvas backing patch
- Leather repair kit
- Palette knife
- Rubbing alcohol
How to fix problems in leather furniture:
- Bring an apt leather kit before heading into the repairing work as you may need necessary tools to remove the outer leather.
- Check out the severity of damage in the furniture, in case furniture has severe damage in terms of cuts and tear in leather then it may replaced by a leather swatch. Little tear or damage in furniture can be fixed by filler and sometimes there is need to change the leather piece, in that case check the bottom of sofa to search for a piece that may have attached by manufacturer during its purchase.
- Clean the area around the furniture that has to be treated by using solvent given in leather kit. You can also use sandpaper to clean and remove the debris around the site followed by rubbing the leather with alcohol.
- Now you just place the canvas backing patch below the repairing place using tweezers. To get the hole in the leather fixed, firmly push the batch beneath as in by keeping the hold of tweezers from one end and moving in from the other.
- Apply thin layer of adhesive with knife on the underside of leather and press it gently to the canvas patch. Leave it to dry.
- Small tears that appear on leather can be repaired by using fillers, take filler on palette knife and start filling in the small holes or tears until it leveled. If there is a need to fix the problem by using canvas patch then apply a small patch with adhesive. But the canvas should be tightly stuck to the leather to maintain the finish look.
- Before to end the task apply few thin coats of colourant and after they get dry up apply several coats of colour to seal the fixed leather.