A guide to handle your newborn
Delivering baby is a new excitement for every parent as the feeling of baby inside is different but when he/she comes in your hand the feeling turns to other side for nurturing and caring. Handling small baby is sometimes a problem for many new parents but once you back from hospital you need to get some baby handling etiquettes for the first time.
Caring and nurturing baby may feel difficult and you may have to loose your night’s sleep for few months so as to cuddle your baby but maintaining composed nature during this period is all needed for newly mothers. Keeping some tips after delivery when you arrive home with baby may accompany you to handle everything in proper manner. Here are the important tips that can provide you help:
Asking for help
Though it is obvious that family members help newly mothers to get across with difficulty she suffers during gestation period and after delivery. But even if due to some or the other reason you may not able to get help from family folks then don not hesitate to ask help from other people such as neighbour or sister.
Looking for specialists such as lactation consultants would be a good idea while some hospitals provide with their feeding experts to accompany new mothers till they do not feed their child properly. Though you may experience different things around you and feel disagree on certain issues pertaining to baby and house.
Handling the newbie
Newborns are just like glass and tend to get hurt even if they are not hold properly into hands. Therefore babies should be cared and pampered with all carefulness and caution. Here are few tips to brush up your mind before you taking care of your baby:
- Be particular and careful when you carry your baby and place the head properly in your hand giving it light support. Gently support the baby’s head while holding him also support head when holding baby upright or laying him down
- Baby’s bones are soft and fragile so never shake or hold your baby in harsh manner as it can lead to sudden break of bone or cause bleeding in brain resulting in death. If you feel like waking your baby just tickle him on feet or peck on his cheek gently but never shake him or pull him suddenly.
- Take special care of umbilical cord as this area is prone to infection and to keep infection away clean the area with cotton swab soaked in alcohol after every diaper until the cord stump falls off. Make sure you do not submerge your child until it goes off.
- Changing diaper of the baby is common schedule work which has to be undertaken until your baby attains age of 4 or 5. Change diapers frequently in a day to avoid infection and make sure you take special care of rash which might unease your baby.
- Clean the area while changing diaper now and then. Take some water, cotton and cloth or diaper wipe whenever changing diaper of the baby but do not expose baby’s genital area which may lead to infection. When changing boy’s diaper clean the area with all the things to clean genitals and carefully avoid exposure because it can cause him to urinate. However, when changing girl’s diaper wipe her genitals from front to back in order to avoid urinary tract infection.
- If the baby is suffering from rashes aid with ointments whenever you change diaper. Also use soft cotton fabric to tie around baby’s bottom and wash them with anti-bacterial mild liquid soap.
Though newborns are recommended to give breast milk but bottle milk can be given while sleeping. Newly mothers often doesn’t know at what time period babies need to feed and generally it is said that babies should be fed whenever they feel hungry. However, newborns require to be fed in every 2 hour or perhaps very often and if you are breastfeeding then give your baby chance to nurse both breast. Allow your baby to burp frequently during breastfeed because babies generally swallow air while feeding and burping prevent causing them fussy.