Roof flashing is generally installed to make the living place safe from natural phenomena while keeping the roof in good condition. However, this can only be possible when roof flashing installed is qualitative and maintained properly for its better working. Roof flashing should be maintained carefully to ensure good accommodation while planning roof flashing material should be carefully decided keeping a strict view regarding their advantages and disadvantages.
Roof flashing should possess some essential features as rust proof, weather proof, require low maintenance and effective on changing weather. There are different types of roof flashing material that include copper, galvanized steel, lead coated copper, stainless steel, zinc and aluminum. Flashing also hails in material like rubber and plastic etc.
Types of Roof Flashing Material
Stainless Steel Roof Flashing
Stainless steel is good for roof flashing and due to its features being durable and tough in every environment, it makes a popular choice. This material roof flashing is ideal to be fixed on valleys and counters using steel nails only. Stainless steel flashing do not come in preformed sheets, thus it has to be managed while installation.
- Require less maintenance
- Durable and can be turned into any shape
- Rust Proof
Galvanized Steel Roof Flashing
- Involves high labour cost
- Tough to give any shape being a hard material
- Not cost effective
Galvanized steel roof flashing is a sheet obtained by coating steel with zinc alloys. This type of roof flashing gives better results if only nails used on it are also galvanized but ensure that you confer professional help.
- Better visual appearance
- Economical material
- Do not involve high labour cost
- Available in preformed pieces
Copper Roof Flashing
- Prone to corrosion and damage if not maintained
- Prone to damage if exposed to bad weather, pollution and climatic condition
- Difficult to give shape
Copper is long lasting, durable and popular choice for roof flashing material. To have the benefits of copper roof flashing, one should take professional help for its ideal installation.
- Rust resistant
- Require low maintenance
- Long lasting
Aluminum Roof Flashing
- Require high cost during installation
Aluminum roof flashing is another durable material used and installed. This type of material is flexible and can be avail in several forms of thicknesses. However, after its installation aluminum roof flashing should be painted or coated in order to make it long last. It is safe in any kind of environment that is why it is also a popular choice for house owners.
- Even economical than copper material
- Do not involve much cost during installation process
Rheinzink Roof Flashing
- Can get damage if not maintained through frequent paint
- Require much maintenance
Rheinzink type of roof flashing material composed of 98 % of graded zinc, 1% copper and 1% titanium alloys. It is generally available in blue-grey colour preformed sheets.
- Easy to mould into any shape
- Can be purchased in less cost
- Must be installed properly under professional supervision
- Needs proper ventilation underside to prevent corrosion