While designing the basement few things have to be attentively & carefully designed so that this place has better facility and functionality of upper floors. We have gathered few designing ideas as how to incorporate things while designing basement in terms of lighting, ventilation, ceiling and flooring etc. Explore the ideas of designing basement:
Lighting in basement
Since basement lacks natural light, this area can be essentially bright up with plentiful artificial lights to compensate with natural light. There should be enough space for different lighting system to make up the mood in the entire basement. Lighting system of today is exclusive and comes in huge range such as task or workspace lighting with controllable mode so as to tame the lighting effect according to the ambience. You can choose from few choices of lighting system in basement:
Ventilation in basement
- Florescent lighting is a popular choice in basement as due to its effective light and manageable mode, they brings back the charm of natural light and help making the ambience well lighted. Installing florescent lighting system is also cost & energy efficient and lasts long from other types of choices. So florescent lighting is a better choice for lighting in basement design.
- Another type of lighting system that can be preferred is halogen which provides the entire ambience clear and focused light. They can be installed as task light or track light while halogen lighting system can also be combined with other lights.
- LED are the most popular lighting system that most homeowners prefer in basement as they are cost effective and energy effective which can be used in different forms in the basement such as task, track, and night light etc.
Making basement water proof
- Ventilation is a major decision taken attentively while designing and constructing basement because any flaw can perhaps convert this place suffocating and musky.
- Basement should be well ventilated and for this installing good exhaust at different corners is important while windows should also be there in plentiful to keep the air inflow.
- However, if windows are not possible in basement then giving a vent through a wall is ideal to keep the room airy with naturally.
Basement should be well covered with good water proof material during the construction so as to prevent any unwanted mishap such as leakage or dampness etc. Installing different methods of water proofing is essential for basement and it should be taken at the preliminary stage only.
Design for functional use
- Construct the basement for functional use only and for this basement should have less furnishing and more space for functional activity.
- To enhance the circulation space keep the doors of basement transparent by using glass panels which also appears aesthetic and give sophisticated look.
- Walls in the basement should be minimum and better to design rooms in hallway.
- Doorways can be slider to maximize the space but is it is better not to have too many doors keeping in view to your privacy.
Basement colours should be natural, bright and subtle because this place already lack natural light which has to be compensated with artificial lighting system to make the basement illuminated. Keep the gloom of basement away with natural and bright colours such as green, blue, yellow, pink and orange.