Timber is the most useful and important material for construction in building without which entire process is incomplete. Selecting timber is not an easy task as it seems to be, because timber has different type and selecting the right material is important key. Timber is again an expensive material to be incorporated in a building for different purpose for which it should be necessarily be strong and tough. Timber doors or windows whatever it is contribute a lot in the beautification and overall look of interiors.
There are many useful needs of timber during the construction of building such as in doors, windows, cupboards, cabinet and railings etc. Timber is generally used in the form of plywood & raw wood in their products like ply blocks and ply boards. Heavy patterned doors and windows are made with solid wood/Timber to provide the strength and toughness.
Timber has many other uses but which type of timber should be used for right purpose is important to know because if timber used in construction comes out to be of low quality then you may need replacement again and again. Timber while selecting should be considered for its quality aspect as timber must be free from any decay like rotten, fungi and mold or termite. Make sure timber you select is qualitative and even a single knot can bring down the show of whole wood work.
Before purchasing timber material for the construction, one must be well informed regarding timber types and forms to select. Timber selected must be checked properly to make sure that it is free from any kind of mold, fungi, knot, or warp so that it would not give problem afterward. Explore some essential tips and guidelines to know how to select timber for building:
- Teakwood is absolutely best timber to use in the construction of building. Teakwood is naturally durable wood that is incorporated just on its good merit and adaptability although it is prone to attack by white ant and insect. Yet builders choose it for its natural look, durability and long lasting characteristics. Today eventually many substitutes have come that give resemblance of teakwood but nothing can give good quality of original teakwood.
- Sal is another timber material that can be selected and it is identified as much stronger and quite harder than teakwood. Sal is completely durable, harder, heavier and tougher than other timber material used in building. Sal wood is also less prone to termite or fungi attack while it can be used for several constructive purposes.
- Deodar is strongest Indian conifer, although it has less strength and weight than teakwood yet deodar has maintained it good image for its durability. Deodar wood is easily cast in any shape as it is easy to saw. This type of wood is generally used for building & construction in homes and other structures.
- Hardwood is a form of wood which is treated thoroughly before use because it is not that durable as teakwood or deodar. Hardwood has to go through different treatments to conform to building norms and durability. Generally after treated through wood preservative and polishing hardwood gets suitable for house building structure.
- Ply board is commonly used in buildings for various purposes and they are formed by pressing together several layers of wood.
- Particle board is usually made from agro waste, cellulose etc and blended with adhesive to make into solid board.